Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Wild about Weavers


Taking some time out from writing the new manuscript, which has been getting a bit intense. Time out means time for other creativity. In this case, my other passion, photography.

About a mile from where I live, amidst middle class suburbia is a tiny oasis - a pond (or very small dam) which attracts a whole lot of birdlife. Not least of all a buzzing, squabbling flock of weaver birds. The males are gearing up for the nesting season and there is a lot of nestbuilding and displaying going on. And a LOT of noise and plenty of attitude. But, they are rather beautiful - and comical.


We start with a piece of grass...

We find a suitable location...

We start to weave...

It's hard and thirsty work...

And a chap needs some time out...

Got to make sure the front entrance is just so...

The finished product...

Now to find a wife... (and hope she doesn't tear it apart)

See what I've made, it's beautiful, isn't it?

Look at me, I'm beautiful, aren't I - you know you wanna marry me and have my babies...


No comments:

Post a Comment