Thursday, February 17, 2011

Thank you, YA Critique



Writing is often a lonely business, yet I think one of the most heartening things about the children’s writing community is the overwhelming support which is shown to all. And the fact that it comes with friendship and camaraderie, which is offered unconditionally, makes it doubly worthy. I have said it before and will say it again, finding myself amongst the members of the British Isles chapter of the SCBWI (despite living on the opposite side of the planet) has been something of a homecoming. I find myself in a space where I am accepted, and amongst like-minded nutcases, I mean, people (oh and a few werewolves and crow collectors too). I love the way people encourage one another, the way they cheer for one another, participate in each others’ ups and downs. I think there must be a particular “thing” about children’s writers that makes them stand out from the crowd – perhaps it’s because children’s writers are still very connected to their own inner child and haven’t lost their sense of fun and wonder at the world. What I find fascinating is that this happens despite the fact that the world of children’s book publishing is tough and competitive. I think that being able to be competitors and friends at the same time shows a remarkable degree of emotional maturity – which I suspect many would believe children’s writers to be lacking. Not so at all. Some of the most insightful, aware and thinking people that I have met, come from the world of children’s writers – and I’m happy to call many of them my friends.



A particular case in point is my critique group who get a huge thumbs up for the support and encouragement they provide me and each other. (A note to all scribblers - if you are a writer or wannabe writer, get yourself into a critique group, make sure it’s the right critique group - and watch yourself and your work grow). My critique group, made up of outstanding writers, has an online existence, but we nonetheless get together to discuss work in progress, successes and even personal stories. We encourage, we nurture, we comment, we criticize (constructively, I hasten to add) in an environment of mutual respect and trust – and we all have one end goal, to write the best possible children’s fiction that we can.

I’m feeling particularly warm and fuzzy about my critique group at the moment. For the last few months they’ve trudged with me through the rewrite and edits of my current manuscript. They’ve told me what’s not working and what is. They’ve kept me going with constructive feedback given in the most positive and encouraging manner. With their help I’ve honed and polished - and then polished and honed some more. While I’m not naïve enough to think that the manuscript is perfect (is it ever that?), I know that with their input and support I’ve come away with something pretty decent. I know too, that because of them my writing has grown, as has my own ability to critique.

So, this isn’t really a blog post in the ordinary sense, this is really a thank you letter to my wonderful critique partners – for their insight, their good humour, their support, their caring and their sense of fun. Girls, may the journey long continue. Onward and upward - and economic circumstances and rhubarb-blah-fishpaste notwithstanding – here’s to publishing contracts, and maybe even awards!

My heartfelt thanks to Candy Gourlay, Ellen Renner, Kathy Evans, Jackie Marchant, Jeannie Waudby, Jeannette Towey and Carmel Waldron – and, until recently, Tracy Ann Baines and Beverley Johnson.


The Usual Suspects...

No comments:

Post a Comment