Thursday, October 28, 2010

The day's last patch of colour

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON (Image ID:124-6437)


You know how you sometimes get a lucky shot? This was the perfect example. I shot this back in March this year. I was on a freeway, driving south into gathering darkness. I had hills in front of me, cloaked in the black velvet of warm night. But my rear view mirror? Ah, that was a different matter altogether ....

I could see a rapidly diminishing patch of sky behind me, reflected in my mirror, with a range of vivid colours. But I was certainly not going to pull off the freeway just to take a shot or two.

When I eventually came to my exit, the patch of colours had shrunk to a tiny area above the distant horizon. On the expanse of the exit ramp, in little or no traffic, I finally pulled over with plenty of space to spare. How lucky was I: instead of my normal 18-125mm lens, my camera had a 70-300mm lens fitted, so I didn't have to carry out a quick swap.

This was shot at the full extent of the 300mm lens - and yes, the telephone pole actually gave the frame a bit of character as I shot into the distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment