Thursday, November 25, 2010

SCBWI-BI celebrates 10 Years!




(SCBWI-BI = Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators - British Isles)


A gathering of "squibbies"

I have returned! And boy, what a time away it was. I even enjoyed the brisk UK cold, though I did fear that I might lose my nose on several occasions!

It was so, so great to have been able to meet and catch up with writer pals, old and new, at the SCBWI-BI 10th Anniversary conference in Winchester. So much fun, so much learned – of course, just not long enough to have a decent chat with everyone.


Hobnobbing with friends and authors - Kathryn Evans, Candy Gourlay, Jon Mayhew and Lucy Coats

I have pages of notes, some wonderful critiques from my online critique partners, most of whom I finally got to meet – what an amazing group of people – I feel very privileged! And...I also had a great one to one session with an editor – so now there is some serious motivation to get the current WIP finished.

7/10ths of my lovely critique group - Jackie Marchant, Jeannie Waudby, Jeannette Towey, Candy Gourlay, Kathy Evans and Ellen Renner


I am powerfully struck by two things – what incredible, friendly, supportive and generous people make up the British Isles SCBWI, and the fact that one is never, ever too old to learn. I have come away with so much and at so many levels.

It was suggested by the SCBWI-BI organizers that conference attendees blog about the 10 things they learnt at the conference. So here are mine:


1. “Squibbies” are the best people in the world! I believe I have finally found my “pack”.

2. You are never too old to learn. And if you think you are, it is conceivable you are dead. (Yes, you may want to check.)

3. People will always help you if you ask.

4. Sometimes people sound exactly like you imagined they would.

5. Marketing yourself as a writer/ author/illustrator is more important than ever – get out there and make use of those platforms. If need be, become an “internet slut”.

Candy Gourlay, Keren David and Sarah McIntyre tell us how it's done...



6. I seem to have acquired a certain kind of fame (though it may be infamy) – but apparently I’m shorter than everyone expected. You see, using the internet can make you seem “bigger” than you actually are!

7. Place can be a character in a novel. Marcus Sedgwick said so. He is right.
He also said that when you start moving commas around, you’ve probably finished your absolutely final edit of your novel. (I’m still moving words and whole chapters around…)



8. Just about all writers and illustrators carry notebooks – though some have “brand” preferences… (For your information and future reference… I’m a Moleskine snob.)

9. Google Earth and Google Street View, YouTube and Flickr, Wikipedia and Twitter are all good places to do research for your novel if you can’t actually get to a particular place.

10. Using the newspaper to gather ideas and combining news stories, is a great way to create a plot – thanks Keren!

Author and friend, Keren David


To the organisers, delegates and everyone else involved in making the conference the success that it was, a huge THANK YOU!!! And, also, thank you to all of you for making me feel so incredibly welcome and part of the "pack"!


The mass of "Squibbies" who've achieved publishing success during the course of 2010
- which shows that being part of this amazing organisation can really help!
Photo courtesy of Candy Gourlay


For other posts celebrating what people learned at the conference, see:

Anita Loughrey's Blog
Ellen Renner blogging at An Awfully Big Blog Adventure
Candy Gourlay
Sarah McIntyre's Jabberworks
Keren David's Almost True
Sue Eves
Lucy Coats at Scribble City Central
Teri Terry and Candy Gourlay's Notes from the Slushpile
Nick Cross' Who Ate My Brain
Kathryn Evans
Julie Day
Dave Cousins' Fifteen Days without a Head
Claudia Myatt
Rebecca Colby
Tina Lemon's A Novel Way
MC Rogerson's Life Beyond
KM Lockwood
Katie Dale


Additional photo credits to Fiona Dunbar, Candy Gourlay and Anita Loughrey


Here's to another 10 Years!


No comments:

Post a Comment