Monday, November 22, 2010

Bold as brass

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON (Image ID: 124-6111)


Shooting images during street parades can be really difficult. On the plus side, you are outdoors, so you have good light, and bright colours to work with. But people are constantly moving in front of you (even if you are over six foot tall and standing on tiptoe) and those who are part of the parade are constantly in motion.

But I shot this during the Moomba parade here in Melbourne in March. Beautiful day. Plenty of sunshine. And I decided to use the longer of my two lenses, replacing my 18-125mm lens with a 70-300mm lens. This gave me great depth of field as I zoomed in on this tuba player.

Did you notice the reflection on his brass instrument, showing the city skyline behind him - and the crowds lining St Kilda Road in front of him? If you want to see the original high-res version of this shot on my Red Bubble site, just click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment