Monday, July 27, 2009

Taking Steps

Long Winter Shadows On A Melbourne Afternoon

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


Even though it's winter here, the afternoon sun can sometimes produce great shadows. About ten days ago, I was going to take a straight-on shot of these steps. Then I thought it would be far more interesting to wait a few minutes and actually try and get a shot of feet on the steps as someone walked past.

I was standing on the Yarra side of the Melbourne Exhibition Centre and you'd reckon there'd be a lot of people walking past. But no, I had to wait a few minutes and I was determined to shoot the first person, without asking them to walk at a particular angle or at a certain pace.

It's an interesting task, because you don't know whether the person is going to walk straight, diagonally, up the stairs or down them.

Luckily this person strode along the top of the walkway and I was able to get a perfectly candid, unposed shot of his shoes - and a clearly defined shadow.

Visit the creative team behind That's My World Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment