Saturday, August 2, 2008

Vanilla's PR Agency: Supporting the Little Guys

Flowers at Pot au Fleur

I’ve discovered a new Saturday morning treat. Instead of schlepping off to the supermarket with the ravening hordes, I’ve discovered farmers’ and organic produce markets. What a treat. Gone is the sterile shopping of the dreaded overpriced and impersonal supermarket and in comes the lively and fulsome experience of trading with growers and homebakers and cheesemakers and olive growers as I trundle around with my basket, sniffing and sampling and chatting. So, so much nicer! So much more real. This morning I came home with organic cauliflowers, spinach, cabbage and potatoes, goat’s cheese cheddar, mature cheddar, free range chicken, gluten free bread, farmer’s bread and Greek pesto. Yumyumpiggysbum! There is a lot to be said for supporting the little guys.

Breads, croissants, baguettes at Crocodeli

Fresh organic produce


Which reminds me – a while I ago I promised three different and very dear people that I’d “feature” them on ye olde blogge.


The first is my incredibly wonderful and dear counseling astrologer, Shirley. I have to confess that I used to harbour a certain amount of skepticism when it came to certain astrologers and mass astrology but Shirley has changed my mind. Her readings are so spot on as to be uncanny and she is so intuitive in her own right as to make her readings incredibly perceptive. Shirley is not a predictive “you’ll meet a tall dark stranger” kind of astrologer; rather she uses her skills for healing and guidance. Her readings can provide you with a “blue print” of yourself – revealing your personal foundation, how you relate to the world, the basis of your development. Her readings also observe trends and tendencies, and provide insights into you and your life patterns which can be helpful in finding clarity and direction. I always refer to Shirley as one of my guardian angels and just love her to bits. She is a remarkable, gentle and very special woman.

The wonderful thing about Shirley is that although she is based in Cape Town, she also does distance readings – doesn’t matter where you are – you can hook up via Skype or she’ll do a digitally recorded reading for you. And in September to early October this year she’ll be having a working holiday in the UK. If any of you would like to have a reading done by Shirley – and it is truly well worth it - please contact me and I’ll let you have her email addy. You’ll find my email address on my profile page.


The other person that the Vanilla PR Agency is supporting today is a very old friend who has recently found a new creative niche in creating exquisite beaded jewelry using Swarovski crystals, semi precious gemstones and sterling silver chain maille.

Claire and I met back in 1985 when we found ourselves stuck in the daily grind of corporate life. She’s a wonderful person with a huge heart who has overcome numerous personal crises including surviving what should have been terminal cancer.

Claire now lives in Sussex in the UK and sells her work through her website, thus making it accessible to all. Do go and take a look at the magic she creates at Moonlit Night Creations.


One of Claire's turquoise and chain maille creations


And finally, there’s Carien of Shoes of Flavour. I came across Carien at one of Cape Town’s many craft markets, where she was selling the most delightful beaded flipflops (thongs) and slip ons. Carien told me she had wanted to get out of the rat race and give something back to the community. So the wonderful thing about Shoes of Flavour that it supports social upliftment, and all the beading is done by women from the impoverished black townships. The sandals are bright, lively and funky – moreover, they’re really comfortable – just great for summer when the living is easy! Yes, of course I own a pair – mine are bright red!



No comments:

Post a Comment