Wednesday, August 20, 2008

I'm Back (Kruger National Park 1)

Young elephant

I’m back, but I don’t know where to begin! My week with the wild things was awesome. There is something about being out in the bush that draws one back to basics and the fundamental essence of life. Somehow reality becomes more real – purer, in a sense. That’s not to say that nature is gentle or kind. It struck me, listening to some of the rangers’ stories, that life on this planet is about dominance – and every species is affected.
I heard stories of animal infanticide, rival killings, territorial disputes, clan wars, sexism, ageism… made me realise that this is a harsh planet. Yes, there’s gentleness and intelligence, love and protection but the flip side of the coin, the balance, is pretty dramatic. Makes me wonder about our personal evolution. Is our aim to get past our basic beast instincts or are we just beastly and that’s the sum of it? I suppose, ultimately, I’m inclined to still err towards the animal environment. There might be a lot of jostling for position but it’s about a fundamental need to survive. Eat or get eaten, shag or get beaten, is how I finally summed it up.

Rhinocerous - his own armoured tank

Oh, so you’re wondering where I went, after that little bit of philosophizing? Well, I went to South Africa’s premier game reserve, the Kruger National Park. We booked for just four nights, staying at Skukuza, one of the South African National Parks (SANParks) restcamps (not one of the luxury concessionary lodges!) – and I honestly wish we’d booked for longer. I could happily have spent a week or two there.

Queen of the beasts - a lioness on the prowl

For the details: Kruger Park covers nearly 19 000 sq kms and has a huge range of flora and fauna including the Big 5 – ie lion, leopard, elephant, buffalo and rhino. They’re grouped together because they’re supposed the most dangerous animals and the most dangerous animals to hunt. It’s unfortunate really that so much focus is put on the Big 5 because there are a host of other stunning creatures in the Park – not to mention the bird life and the remarkable trees.

Impossible colours of the Lilac-breasted Roller

It’s hard to try and do the place justice in short blog post, so I will, over the next few days share various snippets with you - including further travels in the mountains and veld of Mpumalanga to the west of the game reserve. And if you want the full range of photos, (many still in the process of being uploaded...) go to my Flickr account. Yes, yes, I know, there are a lot of pics – but trust me, I’ve pruned dramatically from the over 3000 photos I started with!

Hippos at Lake Panic - near Skukuza

Sadly we didn’t see any leopards, cheetahs or wild dogs, but our “did see” list looks like this…

Animals
Lions (lionesses)
Elephant
White rhino
Buffalo
Hippo
Spotted Hyenas
Giraffe
Zebra
Blue wildebeest
Nyala
Kudu
Bushbuck
Waterbuck
Steenbuck
Impala
Warthogs
Baboons
Vervet monkeys
Scrub hares
Slender mongoose
Banded mongoose
Galago (bushbaby)
Tree squirrels
Fruit bats
Pipistrella bats

Reptiles
Crocodiles
Leguaan
Terrapins
unidentified snake

Birds
Glossy starlings
Ostrich
Coucal
Eagles - Fish Eagle, Bateleur Eagle, Tawny Eagle
White headed Vultures
Crowned Crane
Ground Hornbill
Yellowbilled Hornbill
Grey Hornbill
Carmine Bee-eater
Lilac-breasted Roller
Pied Kingfisher
Weaverbirds
Swallows
Maribou Stork
Herons including Grey Heron
Grey Loeries
Speckled Mousebird
Cape Turtle Dove
Hadedas
Finches
Sunbirds
Guinea Fowl
Francolin
Bulbuls
Flycatcher
Egyptian Geese
Hamerkop
Black Harrier
Ox Pecker
Saddlebilled Stork
Crested Barbet
Great White Egret
African Jacana
White Stork
Yellow Billed Stork
Greyheaded Parrot
Whitebacked Vulture
Darter
Several LBJs (Little Brown Jobs of unidentifiable types!)

No comments:

Post a Comment