Friday, December 21, 2007

Seasonal Blues and a VanilleKipferl Recipe


This the season to be jolly, tra la-la la-laaa... and bah humbug. For a multitude of reasons this is not my favourite time of year and as the happy day draws closer so I am getting more stressed and more gloomy. Frankly, I think next year I'm simply going to cancel the entire event!

However, that said, as much as I think the Christmas plot has totally been lost in a glut of consumer frenzy, the felling of thousands of little trees, the general stress and mayhem to be experienced on the roads and in the malls, and prolific over indulging, I am, nevertheless, trying enter into some of the spirit. Though frankly, I'd sooner some spirit would enter me (whisky, vodka, brandy would do fine - if only I drank).

To this end, I've decided to do some belated Christmas baking and, in memory of my grandmother - see post below - I'm going to be baking a few things that she used to treat us with at Weihnacht (that's Christmas in German). I thought I'd share one of the recipes with you. Admittedly, it's not my gran's recipe - this one comes from a friend - but the biscuits taste just the same as the one's my granny made.

Evelyne’s Vanillekipferl

250 gr flour
220 gr butter (preferably use salted butter, it gives a better flavour)
100 gr ground almonds or hazelnut (I only use almonds)
70 gr sugar
a few drops of vanilla essence to flavour the dough

1. Mix all ingredients and roll into a ball.

2. Leave to rest for about 1 hour or so.

3. Form crescents by first rolling a little ball in your hands, roll into a sort of sausage and then voilĂ  you form the crescent or half-moon. (This is a recipe originates from when the Turks almost laid siege on Vienna in 1683 or thereabouts, therefore the half-moon.)

4. Bake on an ungreased baking sheet (the dough is greasy enough) at approx. 180 ° Centigrade for about 30 to 40 minutes.
You'll notice when they are done by sticking your finger into the nearest Kipferl. If it gives way, it isn't done yet. They should have a light colour when done, brown is not good.

5. When they are ready take them out of the oven and IMMEDIATELY roll them in sugar. Don't use castor sugar, it just becomes sticky, and normal sugar is a bit too large-grained, so if you can possibly get icing or confectioner's sugar, use that.

6. Store the Kipferl in a tin, they will happily keep for about 4 - 5 weeks.


These little biscuits are decidedly more-ish - the last batch I baked lasted less than a week - never mind how long the kipferl were willing to last in their tin!

And once I've made the kipferl, I'm going to be making zimtsterne - cinnamon stars - and marzipan "fruits". Well, that's the intention anyway... Mice, men, best laid plans, ho ho ho hum.


NOTE:
Posts and blog visiting may be a bit haphazard - my ISP is playing up something horrible and broadband capacity seems to have slowed to a snail's pace - in fact, I'm remembering the days of dial up... Do please bear with me.



No comments:

Post a Comment