Friday, September 18, 2009

Is It Up, Or Is It Down?

Do Not Adjust Your Screen

Photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON


This week’s theme really got me thinking, because there aren’t really a lot of shots I’ve taken that would meet the criterion. I was starting to wonder how best to depict this – and then I remembered a couple of shots I took about eight weeks ago.

I just happened to be coming down the stairs from Southbank to the Langham Hotel here in Melbourne, when I noticed a Mercedes-Benz parked in just the right spot. Not only was it in great light and in a position where I could shoot it from above, but its hood also had a clearly discernible reflection of one of Melbourne’s most recent and most recognisable landmarks – the mammoth Eureka Building, which opened in 2006.

I took the first shot exactly where I stood and then I realised that if I moved slightly to my left, I would be able to shoot a segmented image. By this I mean the reflection of Eureka would occupy the left-hand side of the car’s hood, while the right-hand side would be absolutely clear of anything at all.

Now I can also explain why I was so lucky that the car was a Merc. The distinctive three-pointed star is a perfect point of reference. Not only does it divide the image into two clear segments, but it is one of the easiest corporate symbols to identify.


Visit TNChick's Photo Hunt. Today's theme: "Upside down''.

No comments:

Post a Comment