Friday, September 14, 2007

And so it starts again...


And so the story begins…

Ah, yes. At last. I’ve started my new manuscript. It’s a story that’s been composting for a while, while I’ve been doing other stuff. But the thing with stories is they have their own time and when they’re ready to come, then they must come. I was seized the other morning with an “I have to, I can’t delay a moment longer. This story is coming whether I like it or not.”

I’ve learned to heed those calls – stories need honouring. If you don’t honour them they drift away, sneak off in the night when you’re asleep and you wake up one day and wonder what happened to that idea, that absolutely brilliant idea you had.

So, the writing has started and as always, the first few chapters are proving to be a little slow going as I find my way into the story. I’m hoping though, as with my other novels, this one, once past the get-going mark, will take off and live a life of its own, with me feverishly bent over my keyboard, churning out the words.

How long this one will take to write, I’ve no idea, it depends how well the story and I meld, how long we take to come into being as one.

Yes, I know, I write as though the story has a life of its own. It does, all stories do.

And the muse, I see, has reappeared in her diaphanous pink feathery baby-doll nightgown and fluffy pink high-heeled slippers, armed with her nail file. Goodness alone knows why my muse looks like this. I could have understood purple robes and lots of dangly silver jewelry, or an old guy with silver hair and beard down to his middle. But no, I get Diaphanous Daphne. Ouch! No, okay, that’s not really her name and I can’t tell you her name because that will give you power over her and then you might jinx everything.

So, for the next while expect me to be vague and abstract has I disappear into another world.

What? You want to know what it’s about? I haven’t a clue. I never do. That’s all part of the adventure. I write what I must. All I think I can tell you is that I think it’s for young adults and the genre is supernatural – maybe… You’ll just have to watch this space. So will I!


(Image used in this post... courtesy of an internet search.)

No comments:

Post a Comment